- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep an ABC multi-purpose dry chemical fire extinguisher nearby
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Before you use your grill:
- Check the major connection points between the gas (propane) tank hose and the regulator and cylinder, and where the hose connects to the burners. Tighten if loose.
- Check the gas (propane) tank hose for the potential leaks. To do that:
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle.
- Turn the propane tank on. If there is a gas leak, the propane will release bubbles around the hose (big enough to see).
- If there are no bubbles, your grill is safe to use.
- If there are bubbles, turn off the tank and check connections, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the leak doesn’t stop, call the fire department
Clothes Dryer Safety
- The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is failure to clean them.
- Ensure your dryer installed and serviced (when necessary) by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
- Use rigid or flexible metal vent piping to sustain proper airflow and drying time.
- Make sure the exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating.
- Once a year (or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry) clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you. Summertime is a great time of year to clean out your dryer vent pipe!
- Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and do not overload your dryer.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
Relax and Stay Safe This Summer! Fire Chief Christopher Lyons
Please follow and like us: