Three Westlake fourth-grade students will move on to the regional Invention Convention contest after winning the top three spots in the Westlake Schools Invention Convention Fair.
The following students from Westlake City School District were selected to participate in the Northeast Ohio Regional Invention Convention:
- 1st Place: Andrew Arkwright, grade 4, Hilliard Elementary School: The Root Seeker
- 2nd Place: T.J. Rintamaki, grade 4, Bassett Elementary School: The Lego Vacuum Cleaner
- 3rd Place: Tiana Nimylowycz, grade 4, Dover Elementary School: The Yarn Master
Several students also took home Honorable Mention awards:
- 1st Grade: Mia Barone, Dover Elementary: MT’s Cup Box
- 2nd Grade: Carsten Kralovic, Holly Lane: The Cereal Box Pourer
- 3rd Grade: Summer Spreen, Bassett Elementary: Kick in Comfort Shin Guards
- 4th Grade: Sophia Jacono, Holly Lane: The Feel Safe Sleeper
- 5th Grade: Aya Alramahi, Dover Intermediate School: Life Jacket Safety Leash
- 6th Grade: Johnny Kilroy, Dover Intermediate: The Bandolier
- 8th Grade: Frankie Ricaurte, Lee Burneson Middle School: The Flavored Envelope
Local judges selected the top student inventors to advance to the regional contest at Cuyahoga Valley Career Center in Brecksville on April 30. There student inventors from across the region will compete for the $2,500 grand prize. The program also sponsors a Teacher of Excellent award, which includes a technology package and other prizes for the classroom.