The Bay Village Police Department has compiled a list of easy, common sense safety tips to ensure that our residents have a joyful season and happy New Year.
When at home for the holidays:
- Lock your doors and windows
- Park inside your garage if possible. Lock your vehicles and do not leave valuables in plain sight.
- Do not leave packing boxes for expensive items on the tree lawn on trash day.
- Please shovel your sidewalks for the safety and convenience of all. It is the law.
If you are leaving home for the holidays:
- Have a neighbor or family member watch your house. Contact the post office and have your mail and newspapers stopped.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on timers.
- Consider leaving a radio or television on so the home sounds occupied.
- Contact the Bay Village Police and place your home on the vacation watch list.
While you are out shopping:
- Shop in the daylight hours if possible and always lock your vehicle.
- Be mindful of your surroundings. Park in brightly lit areas and avoid carrying large sums of cash in a wallet or purse. Do not leave valuables and gifts in plain sight.
- If possible, shop with others and use the buddy rule. Trust your instincts, if you feel that you are vulnerable, ask security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Be aware of strangers approaching you for any reason. Many distraction techniques are used to capture a victim’s attention.
- Notify your lending institutions and police immediately if your credit cards are lost or stolen.
- Thieves target packages left on the porch. If having gifts shipped, consider requiring a signature or having the package delivered to a location where someone is present.
- Scammers will try to take advantage of the good nature of people during the holidays.
- Criminals may pose as couriers or solicitors. Be aware that they may target you or your home.
- Ask for identification and only give to recognized charitable organizations.
- Do not be afraid to say NO.
- If you are shopping online, only shop at reputable websites.
- Do not click on pop up banners. If a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. Many pop up banners have spy-ware or may contain a virus.
This list of tips can help ensure that you do not become a target for thieves. If you have any questions please call the Bay Village Police Department at 440-871-1234. If it is an emergency, please call 911 right away!
Happy Holidays from the Bay Village Police Department!
(Ed. Note: This info was released in 2014. It is still relevant).