Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging Honors Para-Professionals
CLEVELAND – The Western Reserve Area Agency on Agency (WRAAA) honored fifteen para-professional caregivers on December 6, 2012 at the 13th Annual Para-Professional Recognition Ceremony at Corporate College East in Warrensville Heights.
These para-professionals, often times referred to as personal care or home care aids, were recognized for their compassion, dedication and professionalism demonstrated when working with their consumers. They make it possible for older adults and persons with disabilities to remain in their homes by helping them with personal care tasks, preparing meals and household chores. Without this assistance, these older adults and persons with disabilities may otherwise be forced from the comfort of their own home to live in an institution such as a nursing home.
“Para-professionals are often not recognized for the quality of care they provide to consumers at a critical point in their lives” said Ronald Hill, CEO of the WRAAA. “They are the foundation of our service network and it is important that their work is acknowledged.”
The ceremony began with Dorothie Haygood, WRAAA Senior Manager of Provider Operations, and Deborah Adams, WRAAA Director of Community Services and Supports, welcoming a large crowd of 50 family and friends of the honorees. The ceremony also featured guest speaker Farida Kassim Ejaz, PhD, LISW, from the Margaret Blenkner Research Institute (MBRI), part of the Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging. Dr. Kassim Ejaz has over 20 years of experience in conducting applied aging research and spoke about home and community based service programs and the challenges direct care workers encounter while providing quality care to older adults.
WRAAA Care Managers nominated the honorees who went above and beyond their professional responsibilities to provide care for their consumers. The 2012 Para-Professional honorees are:
· Adelicia Acosta, Home Care Relief, Inc. Nominated by Diane Lauer
· Terri Lynn Balko, ResCare HomeCare. Nominated by Catherine Hochevar
· Delinda Bryant, Homelink Home Care. Nominated by Denise Rizzo
· Helen Crawford, Home Care Relief, Inc. Nominated by Nadine Dugger
· Hope Daugherty, Reserve Home Health Care, Inc. Nominated by Craig Thomas
· Jeannie Dudas, Heritage Home Healthcare of Rocky River. Nominated by Elizabeth Butler
· Blanca Gonzalas, Fraternal Health Care, LLC. Nominated by Deborah Clifford
· Amberious Menefee, Xcel Healthcare Providers, Inc. Nominated by Cynthia Whitehead
· Rayshawn Pennyman, Help@Home. Nominated by Alison Brown
· Yolanda Peoples, ACE Home Health Care. Nominated by Denise Rizzo
· Linda Robinson, Renaissance Home Health Care. Nominated by Linda Wright
· Nichole Rozanski, Harmony Home Care. Nominated by Denise Rizzo
· Deborah Rupp, Companion Care Home Health Services, Inc. Nominated by Catherine Hochevar
· Kimberly Steele, Renaissance Home Health Care. Nominated by Linda Wright
· Deneen White-Cox, A-1 Health Care, Inc. Nominated by Delissa Churn
The WRAAA contracts with over 200 direct service providers that provide services and support to consumers of the PASSPORT program, Ohio’s Medicaid Home and Community Based Service and Support Waiver. The coordination of the services offered by these direct service providers enable older adults and persons with disabilities to receive the support they need to remain in the community. The WRAAA appreciates all of their providers contributing to the success and continued growth of Ohio’s PASSPORT program.