325 out of 574 respondents to a survey by the Cuyahoga County Library said a new branch in Bay Village is a good idea.
The survey, along with samplings of opinion from community conversations, is part of the basis for the discussions by the Library and Cleveland Metroparks on the viability of building a new branch, possibly in Huntington Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks. A new library location is not addressed in the survey.
“The survey was sent to Bay Village cardholders,” reports Hallie Rich, Communications and External Relations Director, Cuyahoga County Public Library.
“This survey was one of a few different community feedback channels that we have pursued in Bay Village. The Library staffed a table at the ‘Cahoon in June’ event last year where we asked people about their community aspirations and the ways that the library could support them.
“We also staffed a table at an ice cream social where we asked residents similar questions.
“The feedback from those conversations pointed to an opportunity explore a new library space that could accommodate the services that residents expressed most interest in.”
Although the Library system is wrapping up an extensive program that has renovated 9 branches and replaced 9 others, a project in Bay Village was not part of the 18-project Facilities Master Plan, says Rich.
“The FMP is wrapping up right now with the final branch renovation in Parma Heights. In total, the FMP was a $110 million capital improvement program that included 9 branch renovations and 9 branch replacement projects,” she reports.
“The program required no additional taxpayer investment – the projects were funded through three sources: $75 million in note proceeds, $25 million in capital savings and $10 million in private donations (includes in-kind property donations).
“Bay Village, Middleburg Heights and Berea are the three communities that have gone “untouched” in terms of renovation or replacement in approximately the past decade.”
The Bay Library building is owned by the Cuyahoga County Public Library. It sits on a parcel owned by the City of Bay Village under a land-lease agreement.
Public library service began in Bay Village in May of 1921, when Dover-by-the-Lake Library opened in the former Cahoon family home.
Provision for the library was made in the will of Ida Cahoon, granddaughter of Bay Village founder Joseph Cahoon. Ida was a forward-looking and civic-minded lady, donating her family’s private library, as well as her home and farm land, for the good of the community.
Dover-by-the-Lake Library became part of Cuyahoga County Public Library in 1949.
By the late 1950s, the city’s population had grown to 13,000, and a new library was built at the corner of Wolf and Dover Center Road. Twenty years later, the city had again outgrown the library. The present facility opened at Cahoon and West Oakland in April, 1981. The design received an award from the American Institute of Architects/Architects Society of Ohio in the fall of 1981. Extensive remodeling and renovation was completed in 1997. Today the building houses over 100,000 items.