Lee Burneson Middle School Intervention Specialist Erin Blahnik and her students presented a check for $1,000 to Guiding Eyes for the Blind to cover expenses of training guide dogs.
Former DARE Officer Ken Delfing and his wife Kim brought Velita for the ceremony, and Leslie Stephens brought Freya. Both puppies are undergoing basic home training in their foster homes before entering the official Guiding Eyes training program.
The students – Natalie Menta, Kevin Spieth, Jacob Blood and Mikey George – raised funds earlier this year through the sale of dog biscuits to the community. Guiding Eyes will use the $1,000 to cover the following expenses:
· A guide dog’s annual vaccinations
· Mobility training in urban areas
· Meals for one month for one guide dog
· Home-cooked meals and housing for a blind student in training
· Costs toward raising a puppy in the foster family program
· Special home training when needed