Tax season for the AARP Tax Aide Program will begin February 1 and operate until April 15, 2019. Please go to AARPFOUNDATION.org/taxaide and find a site near you.
This is a FREE tax service offered to seniors, low to moderate income families and singles.
Your return is filed electronically and hopefully refunded quickly considering the government shutdown. When you are filing a joint tax return, BOTH parties have to come in to sign.
Bring your driver’s license as it is mandatory for the whole state of Ohio to file an Ohio return. Also bring your social security cards and all documents needed to file a complete return.
Please go over your last year’s return and compare to make sure you have all the same 1099s, W2s, your bank statements, Social Security statements. Also bring your 2017 return with you.
If you received anything relating to your health insurance bring those papers in also. With the changes in the Standard Deduction amounts this year, itemizing your deductions will be almost impossible.
An example for a married couple both over 65, the standard deduction would be $26,600. You may want to add up all your medical costs and see if it is above your 7.5% of your expected income level for 2018. You need to bring in the totals not the paperwork. This is for the Ohio return purposes.
Call and make an appointment as soon as you have everything together. If you come in too soon and something comes in later, it will all have to be amended.
Your return will be prepared by volunteers that love what they do and are happy to be able to offer you this service for free. Here are some nearby locations:
- Bay Village Library, 502 Cahoon Road, Bay Village (440) 871-6392
- Avon Lake Public Library, 32649 Electric Blvd., Avon Lake (440) 933-8128
- Westlake Senior Center, 29694 Center Ridge Rd., Westlake (440) 899-3544
- Fairview Park Library, 21255 Lorain Rd., Fairview Park (440) 333-4700
- Fairview Park Senior Life Office, 20769 Lorain Rd., Fairview Park (440) 356-4437
- Avon Senior Center, 36786 Detroit Rd., Avon (440) 934-2417
- Lakewood Senior Center, 16024 Madison Ave., Lakewood (216) 521-1515
- Columbia Park, 7100 Columbia Road, Olmsted Twp. (440) 235-6121
- North Ridgeville Senior Center, 7324 Avon Belden Rd., North Ridgeville (440) 353-0828
- Rockport Branch, Cleveland Public Library, 4421 W. 140th St., Cleveland (216) 623-7053
- Brookpark United Methodist Church, 6220 Smith Rd., Brookpark (216) 676-4738