Last month, 23 Westlake High School Latin students traveled to Columbus for the Ohio Junior Classical League State Convention, which brings together more than 800 students, teachers and parents to celebrate the study of Latin.
WHS students brought home a variety of awards, placing 11th overall statewide and 9th per capita.
Students earning individual awards include:
- Logan Allman, 10th place for his drawn map “Hercules’ Travels”;
- Era Bala, scored 10th place on the Derivative test;
- Julia Biller placed 4th on the Derivative test and 7th place in Dramatic Interpretation;
- Clayton Boor placed 3rd for his mosaic, 7th for his water color of the god Helios and 10th place for his pastel drawing;
- Rachel Cooper received a 1st place ribbon for her model “Starry Night” which depicts mythological constellations, 5th place for her mosaic “Coliseum at Sunset” and 5th place on the Derivatives test;
- James DeMarsh placed 9th for his Monologue;
- Akshya Dhinakaran placed 4th for her photograph, “Cerberus”;
- Amber Dinchman received a superior rating for her depiction of the theme on banner;
- Abigail Dumm placed 4th in her monologue and illustrated children’s book “The Myth of Arachne”;
- Sam Farabaugh placed tenth in mosaics;
- Eric Fogle placed 3 in the category of Sight Reading and 6th on the Derivatives test;
- Richard Garber placed 1st in Derivatives, 2nd in Grammar, 3rd in Latin Literature, 3rd in mythology, 2nd in Pentathlon, 4th in Reading Comprehension, 2nd in Roman History, 4th in Roman Life, 7th in Vocabulary, 2nd for his computer enhanced photograph “Pandora’s Box”, 4th in traditional photography, 2nd in Latin Recitation and 3rd in Sight Latin Reading. Richard received an award for coming in fourth place for the total amount of points per person in the overall convention;
- Terra Glanzer placed 7th for her pastel drawing “Athena’s First Olive Tree”;
- Juyoung Lee placed 9th in Derivatives;
- Cheryl Liang placed 7th for her pencil drawing “Persephone”;
- JP Mogordy placed 6th for his model of a Roman bireme ship;
- Sarah Parchem placed 3rd for her ceramic creation of a traditional Roman water vase and 9th place in Dramatic Interpretation;
- Katilyn Reimerplaced 8th for her photograph “A Modern Medusa”; and
- Michael Sauer placed 9th in Dramatic Interpretation.
Latin Club is advised by Lisa Patton.