Bay Village High School is proud to announce that 4 students were recently recognized in the 2021 Scholastic Writing Awards. Of those students, 2 received Gold Key awards, 1 received a Silver Key award and 2 received Honorable Mentions. The Gold Key award is the highest honor of distinction in this competition.
Senior Kendall Thomas received two Gold Keys, one in the Short Story category, and one for her Writing Portfolio. Junior Carli Mendelow received a Gold Key in Poetry.
These submissions were entered into the competition by Bay High School English Department Faculty Erin Beirne and Kristen Srsen Kenney.
“These awards are an exciting highlight during a challenging year,” said Dr. Beatriz Bishop, Chairperson of the Bay High School English Department. “We are proud of our talented students for their hard work.”
Faculty from Cleveland Institute of Art served as judges for this annual competition. Below is a complete list of Bay High School’s award-winning students.
PERSONAL ESSAY & MEMOIR SUBMISSIONS
- Sarah Haymond, Junior, “Words Taught to Me by Social Media” Personal Essay & Memoir, Honorable Mention
- Carli Mendelow, Junior, “The Weight of Life” Personal Essay & Memoir, Silver Key
- Carli Mendelow, Junior, “A Google Search” Poetry, Gold Key
- Chloe Rickson, Senior, “My Quiet Thoughts” Poetry, Honorable Mention
SHORT STORY SUBMISSION
- Kendall Thomas, Senior, “C is for (CLASSIFIED)” Short Story, Gold Key
WRITING PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION
- Kendall Thomas, Senior, “Less Than or Equal To Twenty-Four” Writing Portfolio, Gold Key