The Dedication Mass for the new church at St. Raphael Parish in Bay Village took place on Saturday, August 22 at 4:30 p.m.
The Most Reverend Richard G. Lennon, Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland, presided and consecrated the church. St. Raphael Pastor, The Reverend Timothy W. Gareau, concelebrated.
The new church is fan-shaped with a capacity for 1,100 worshipers. It continues to front on Dover Center Road.
The ceremonial entrance is along the north side of the building.
Stained glass windows from the previous St. Raphael church building have been refurbished and installed in the new church. These windows, from the former St. Joseph Franciscan Church (located at E. 23 and Woodland in Cleveland), were originally dedicated in 1873. Crafted in Munich, Germany, they were installed in 1902. The stained glass windows were removed by the Diocese when St. Joseph was closed in the late 1980’s. They were restored and installed at St. Raphael Church in the early 1990’s. The crucifix, tabernacle and altar are from the old church.
All of the marble from the old church has been repurposed and incorporated into the new church (ambo, Altar of Repose, baptistery, as accents throughout).
The Stations of the Cross are from Our Lady of Mercy church in Tremont, which closed in 2010.
A Franciscan chapel holds about 75 people. Stained glass windows of St. Francis and St. Anthony grace this area.
Along with the new church and chapel, a community room that accommodates functions for up to 200 people has also been built.
The architect is Zarzycki-Malik Architects. Zarzycki-Malik was instrumental in helping St. Raphael Parish develop its Master Plan and also designed Phase I. The first phase, completed in 2008, included construction of the Parish Activity Center, referred to as the PAC, connecting corridors to the school, an expanded parking lot, a new rectory and purchase of the building adjacent to the parish property for the Parish Office.
The general contractor is John G. Johnson Construction Company. JGJ is a family owned and operated business since 1943. Throughout the years JGJ has completed several church projects including St John Vianney in Mentor and Holy Angels in Chagrin Falls. Most recently JGJ was the General Contractor for the Apartments at St. Richard in North Olmsted.
John G Johnson Construction Company and Zarzycki-Malik have worked together on numerous projects for the Diocese of Cleveland over the years.
Henninger’s worked with the parish to clean and refit the stained glass windows, restore statues, and to build several pieces incorporating the church’s existing marble. The fourth generation is now running this family business established in 1921.
St. Raphael Parish has grown to over 3,500 families. Over 80 ministries are available to meet the needs of the parish community and those in need.
St. Raphael School is a Blue-Ribbon School with an enrollment of 750 students. Another 500 students participate in the Parish School of Religion.