From nutrition and diet to colon cancer, “Gut Check” was presented by University Hospitals St. John Medical Center and Elyria Medical Center as they teamed for a special “All About You” program for ladies at the Lorain County Community College Spitzer Conference Center on June 22.
The facts about women’s digestive health included presentations by three physician specialists and dietician Julie Wise, RD. The evening included dinner, health checks, pampering for ladies and, most of all, important information on all things related to digestive issues.
Sapna Thomas, MD, Gastroenterologist, shared information on the benefits and risks of intestinal bacteria. Saleem Chowdhry, MD, spoke on colon cancer – facts, screening and prevention. Timothy O’Donnell, MD, colorectal surgeon, discussed the causes of lower digestive tract bleeding and incontinence and prolapse.
These clinical specialists also hosted a panel discussion fielding questions from the audience.
Of special note was a presentation by Maureen Traine, RN, UH SJMC Trauma Coordinator, a cancer patient who shared insights into her personal journey.
All the experts agreed: Prevention and early detection is the key to averting a personal tragedy. Get a colonoscopy. See your doctor with any symptoms. Don’t be embarrassed. They have seen it all before! Schedule your appointment with Dr. Saleem Chowdhry in Westlake at (440) 827-5296.
“All About You” is a free women’s health membership program offered by St. John Medical Center that provides health and wellness education, support and encouragement in all areas of her life.
All About You members receive:
- An e-newsletter featuring health information from physicians and medical professionals, healthy recipes, exercise tips and more
- Invitations to exclusive special events focused on women’s health and wellness
- Notification of women’s health screenings, educational classes and support groups
- Availability of a patient navigator to provide support with healthcare access
- VIP treatment available upon admission to St. John Medical Center. When admitted, mention you are an All About You member and you will experience a visit from an All About You team member as well as receive a small gift too.
Please phone 1-877-597-6348 to join.