For parents who need help with car seat installation or have questions about the safest way to transport their children in motor vehicles, getting expert advice and assistance just got a little easier. University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s along with UH St. John and Parma medical centers, will open car seat checking stations at the following fire departments: Bay Village, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, North Royalton and Olmsted Falls.
Choosing and installing a car seat can be one of the most important parts of getting ready for a new baby, and an important part of baby’s transition from infant to toddler, and from toddler to preschooler. That’s because motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death and injury for children over the age of one. The proper use of child car seats is the simplest and most effective method available for protecting the lives of young children in the event of a motor vehicle crash.
Before getting a car seat check or installation, parents should ask if the individual is a nationally certified Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technician—that means he or she has completed an in depth standardized training course prepared by Safe Kids USA offered locally by the UH Rainbow Injury Prevention Center. CPS Technicians have demonstrated skill in the proper use of child restraints and safety belts, and take part in continuing education to stay abreast of developments in the field and keep skills sharp.
Meeting with a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technician for a car seat check is an interactive, educational process. The CPS Technician should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in your car seat choice, installing the car seat into the vehicle and buckling your child into the car seat on your own.
UH Rainbow’s Injury Prevention Center has had a car seat fitting station at the hospital’s main campus in University Circle for more than 10 years. In response to community requests, UH Rainbow is making it easier for westside families to get expert help in choosing and installing car seats with the opening of car seat fitting stations at five area fire stations.
The service is provided free-of-charge, beginning in January 2022, at the following fire departments from 2 – 5 p.m.:
- Olmsted Falls Fire Station – 1st Thursday of the month (Jan. 6, 2022), 9274 Columbia Rd, Olmsted Falls, 44138
- North Ridgeville Fire Station – 2nd Thursday of the month (Jan. 13, 2022), 7000 Ranger Way, North Ridgeville, 44039
- North Royalton – 2nd Thursday of the month- email Kathy Salvo for scheduling (Jan. 13, 2022), Ksalvo@northroyalton.org, 7000 Royalton Rd, North Royalton, 44133
- Bay Village Fire Station – 3rd Thursday of the month (Jan. 20, 2022), 28100 Wolf Rd, Bay Village, 44140
- North Olmsted Fire Station – 4th Thursday of the month (Jan. 27, 2022), 24291 Lorain Rd, North Olmsted, 44070
Unless otherwise directed above, please call UH St. John Medical Center Community Outreach for an appointment at 440-827-5440.